Saturday, 23 February 2013

Brookside visited by Hilary Benn MP, apparently

I discovered on Thursday that Brookside had been visited earlier that day by the Labour Party's Shadow Secretary of State for Communities & Local Government, Hilary Benn.

Apparently Hilary Benn toured Brookside local centre with Labour councillors and David Wright MP and then toured the parish council offices before taking questions from an invited audience of residents.

I'm a bit cross about this because I didn't even know it was happening.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to be told if a member of the Shadow Cabinet is visiting the ward I represent and visiting the offices of the parish council I sit on.  And as for the "invited audience" - the parish council's offices are paid for by local residents and they should all have been made welcome, not just a cherry-picked few.  I haven't heard any resident talking about the visit so it would be interesting to know which residents were actually invited or if it was just local Labour Party activists.

I have asked for this matter to be put on the agenda of the next parish council meeting so we can get to the bottom of why the Labour Party are using council facilities for party political reasons.