Friday, 10 February 2012

Prayers in council meetings unlawful

The National Secular Society has won a High Court case today banning official prayers before council meetings.

I haven't seen anything from Telford & Wrekin council about this.  They were looking at a ban in 2008 but it didn't happen and still continues under Cllr Sahota.  If Christian prayers aren't a problem for a council lead by a Sikh, why are they a problem for atheists?

We don't do prayers at the parish council and if we did I wouldn't take part because I'm not even vaguely religious.  I wouldn't try and stop the council from having prayers just because I don't believe though, we live in a Christian country and should expect the state religion to be reflected in officialdom.  As long as nobody tried to force me to take part in the prayers, it's up to them whether they want to say prayers or not.

I don't believe in God but I understand why people do (or at least, I think I do).  I don't feel the need for religion and don't understand how people can genuinely believe that the theory of evolution is wrong and that the world was created by a big man who lives in the sky.  However, I do think that most of the values that Christianity (and pretty much any of the other traditional religions) espouses make a positive impact on society

Don't steal, don't be greedy, don't sleep with someone else's wife, work hard, be nice to people - not exactly the most offensive values someone could promise to live their life by and if they feel the need to make that promise to an invisible man in the sky then what harm does it do?