Saturday, 7 January 2012

Fire in Teal Close

Five people were still in hospital this morning after escaping from a house fire in Teal Close yesterday.

The fire was caused by a portable heater which set fire to flammable items that were left nearby.

The man of the house was asleep downstairs where the fire started and was forced to escape through the kitchen window after unsuccessfully trying to make it upstairs to rescue the other occupants.  The mother passed the children out of an upstairs window before jumping out of the window herself and breaking her leg.

A neighbour is coordinating an appeal for furniture, equipment and clothes to replace those lost in the fire.  When I get details I will post them here.