Sunday, 26 June 2011

Fly tipping, dog fouling and the Queen's carriage

I often take advantage of my dog walking duties to go on a walkabout around the estate.

Firstly, it gives me an opportunity to see if there are any problems that need addressing such as the fly tipping or excessive dog fouling.  Yesterday I walked around Beaconsfield and Bembridge again and the excessive dog fouling that I spotted last month is still a problem so I have reported it to the dog warden.  The old sofa that has been on Beaconsfield opposite the car park by the school has now been joined by a mattress so I have reported this to environmental maintenance who should arrange for its collection.

Secondly, I enjoy finding new places that I've never seen before.  Even after 10 years of living in Brookside I still haven't seen everything there is to see in Brookside.

Finally, you can meet some interesting people.  This morning I was walking the dog in Birchmore when someone asked if I'd help lift something into the back of their car.  I helped him lift it and we got chatting.  It turns out he keeps horses near where I grew up and used to ride until he fell off his horse and took a hoof to the head.  He also used to own one of the Queen's old carriages until he sold it after his accident.  We spent so long talking my wife phoned me to see if I was coming home any time today!